Woodhill Road, Portishead,
Planning Permission given March 2018.
Building Regulation complete March 2018.
Our brief was to modernise the whole building (for a striking contemporary design) - with masses of light internally and lots of 'wow-features'!
To complication matters - the building is set in a Conservation Area.dd
The existing building was very dark internally, for a number of reasons:
- Low number of windows.
- Split levels internally (preventing light passing through).
- Large roof overhangs (shielding windows from light).
- Recessed entrance with frosted glass (preventing light entering).
- Dark materials, especially internally (making it look and feel dark).
- Orientation to the sun, where most of the day sun light is only at the side.